First baby shoes are such an important ‘step’ in the lifetime of foot health and care, which is why it is so important to know what to look for when buying baby shoes. My favorite baby shoe company, pediped, is dedicated to creating comfortable, stylish and high-quality footwear that is designed to promote healthy foot development. I knew they would be the perfect partners for this post. I was gifted shoes from pediped for this review. As always, all opinions are my own.
What To Look For When Buying Baby Shoes
1. Look for shoes with soft, flexible soles, and a large roomy toe box. These are all qualities you’ll find in pediped shoes. The soft cushion beneath the baby’s feet most mimics barefoot walking while providing enough protection for their feet.
2. Make sure the shoes are comfortable. You can check for comfort by bending the shoe at the ball to see if it flexes easily. Try to avoid shoes that are stiff, with a hard rubber sole, or made of materials that are not breathable such as synthetics or plastics.
3. Look for shoes that don’t have any hard soles or edges. When children are learning to walk, they like to grip and feel the floor. They also hold on to things and tend to shuffle. Shoes without hard edges or soles will allow them to easily feel the ground and will not affect their gait.
4. Look for shoes that will be easy to put on and take off. This will save you time. You don’t want to have to wrestle your baby every time you leave the house.
5. Make sure the shoes fit. First, line up the bottom of your child’s foot with the bottom of a shoe to give it the eye test. Next, put the shoe on and see if you can pinch some of the material between your fingers. If you are unable to gather any material, the shoes are probably too tight. The shoe should have a little bit of wiggle room. For young babies, you can often buy shoes based on the baby’s age. When they get a little older, you will want to refer to a size guide.
6. What to look for when buying baby shoes? Quality! It can be tempting to buy the cheapest of cheap shoes when you know your baby will outgrow them quickly. However, you want to buy quality shoes at a good price. Check out pediped.com for high quality, yet affordable shoes.
7. Style matters. I try to pick a classic look, in a quality shoe, that can be passed down from child to child.
Pediped prides themselves on making the best first shoe ever! They meet all the criteria of what to look for when buying baby shoes. Which is why my baby wears shoes only from pediped! These shoes are ideal for infants and children learning to walk.
The soft, flexible soles of pediped Originals are recommended by pediatricians and podiatrists because they allow children to closely mimic barefoot walking. Originals are made of the highest quality leather on the market and they also feature a soft foam insert between leather layers. They’re so comfortable, your child might not want to take them off!
My Current Favorites
Right now, I am loving the Original Cliffs. They come in a variety of sizes and colors for both boys and girls. When deciding what size to order for my son, I tend to lean on the side of caution and go up a size if I am unsure. Babies do not always cooperate when putting shoes on, so you want to make sure they are big enough for their feet. Keep in mind thick socks can change the fit as well.
I also love the Originals Harvey sandal. No need for socks with this pair! They are perfect for any warm-weather setting. Available in two different colors, these are just one of the many styles of sandals they make for both boys and girls.
pediped For Life
You are likely to fall in love with pediped once you try them. Thankfully they make shoes for babies, toddlers, and big kids. Each line features the best technology in baby and children’s shoes, ensuring your kids only have the best quality shoes on their feet for years to come.
Enter for your chance to win a pair of pediped Originals baby shoes of your choice!