This post has been sponsored by al fresco, however, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
The official start to football season is just around the corner and the preseason practices and scrimmages have already started. As much as I dislike the start of fall because it means the end of summer and the start of cold weather, I do enjoy the return of football. The other part I love about football season is the food! Orin and I often skip dinner and instead snack together on the couch as we watch the games, especially on Sundays. Sundays are a busy day for us as it is, so it’s nice to have something easy to put together instead of cooking a full meal.
Today I’m sharing our favorite game day recipe: Ultimate Loaded Chips!
Ultimate Loaded Chips is one of our staples as we invest ourselves in our individual teams. Even if the season doesn’t go well (and they haven’t gone well for several years for either of us!) the food makes up for the disappointment. We typically choose foods that are very easy to throw together. The recipe also makes a large portion that usually leaves us with leftovers for the next day!
Even with a newborn in the house, this recipe is easy to prep plus the kids love it too!
Ultimate Loaded Chips Recipe
- 1 family-sized bag of your favorite potato chips
- 1 red onion
- 1 bundle of green onions
- 5 Roma tomatoes (or about 2.5 cups of diced tomatoes)
- 1 box of al fresco fully cooked chicken bacon
- 1 package of al fresco fully cooked chicken sausage (also available in an uncooked variety – tastes the same, just takes a little bit longer to prep)
- 5 oz crumbled feta cheese
- 5 oz crumbled blue cheese
- 8 oz (2 cups) Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Grill, oven bake, fry, or microwave al fresco chicken sausage per direction on the packaging. I prefer to fry them. Slice each sausage down the middle, then slice each half again to quarter it. Then cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Microwave al fresco chicken bacon per directions on the packaging. Tear bacon into small pieces.
- Dice the red onion, green onions stalks, and roma tomatoes.
- On a large sheet pan, empty the entire bag of potato chips and arrange evenly.
- Take 4 oz (1 cup) of Mexican blend shredded cheese and spread evenly over chips.
- Evenly spread the red onion, green onion, roma tomatoes, feta cheese, blue cheese, al fresco chicken sausage, and al fresco chicken bacon over the chips and Mexican cheese.
- Top evenly with the remaining 4 oz (1 cup) of shredded Mexican blend cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until cheese has melted. Adjust cooking time accordingly.
- Serve immediately. (Leftovers can be easily reheated.)
For this recipe, I use al fresco chicken bacon because it tends to get a little crisper than regular pork bacon and the al fresco chicken sausage because the children and I prefer the taste of it over pork sausage. On top of that, it is quite a bit healthier than regular sausage and bacon! All natural al fresco chicken sausage has 70% less fat and 30% less sodium than pork sausage and the all natural al fresco chicken bacon has 70% less fat and 40% less sodium than pork bacon with no nitrates or nitrites.
Total prep time for this recipe is about 20-25 minutes plus 10 minutes for baking. However, if you want to save a little bit of time, you can always purchase pre-cut veggies at the grocery store.
This recipe is so delicious and we look forward to it every football season! Ultimate Loaded Chips can also be easily altered according to your tastes and preferences. There are lots of possible combinations! Let me know in the comments below how you’d alter the recipe for your own Ultimate Loaded Chips.