Are you tired of the stress and mess? With springtime cleaning in full swing, now is the time to make some positive changes that can help you maintain a clean house! We’ve compiled the top 11 list of things people with clean homes do every day. So if you’re looking to make a change for the better, consider adding some or all of these to your daily to-do list.
Fix Your Bed
If you tend to roll out of bed and leave the covers a mess, stop and turn around. It takes just a minute or so to fix your bed and coming home to a clean, fixed bed at the end of a long day feels great. Just think, if you make your bed every morning, you will have accomplished the first task of the day!
Never Wear Shoes In The House
There are two kinds of people in this world: those who wear shoes in the house and those who don’t. If you want to keep your house the cleanest possible, be a part of the latter group! Not only do shoes drag in dirt and debris, if you have worn your shoes for more than a month, 93 percent will have fecal bacteria on the bottom of them! GROSS! So just leave the shoes for outdoor wearing. (If you’re looking for ways to organize shoes, check out our Shoe Storage Ideas That Work.)
Open Your Mail Every Day
Mail can REALLY pile up fast which can add to the clutter. Once that stack starts, it becomes a daunting and time consuming task. To help keep your sanity as well as aid in having a clean home, take a minute or two and go through the incoming mail each day.
Never Leave A Room Empty Handed
While clutter can happen in any home, it is typically even worse if you have kids. Start a new rule that nobody should ever leave a room empty handed. Grab that book off the coffee table and bring it back to the bookshelf in the study. Pick up that random toy in the kitchen and drop it back off in the toy room. Snatch up that sweatshirt to deposit back in your kid’s closet. No matter where you’re heading, grab something that doesn’t belong from the room you’re exiting and bring it back to its home. This is HUGE in helping you keep your home clean!
As a mom of six, I can attest to the fact that toys can quickly take over a home. If toys are an issue in your house, check out our Brilliant Toy Storage For An Organized Home post to find some ideas that could help get your home in order.
Clean As You Go
Such a simple idea but something I sometimes fail at when I’m in a hurry is to clean as I go. For example, as you make a meal, don’t let the mess pile up. Place dishes in the dishwasher, throw the trash away, and wipe up after spills. By keeping on top of things as you go, the clean up at the end won’t feel as overwhelming.
Set A Timer For Quick Cleans Throughout The Day
Five minutes will literally make a HUGE difference. Grab a timer and set it for just a few minutes to tackle one particular area. If you have kids, have them help! Even the youngest of family members can pick up a toy or two and dust while you work and set the example along side them.
Make Your Chores A Part Of Your Lifestyle
I know most people hate laundry. But if you sit down and fold a load while watching your favorite show, you’ll realize that it’s not that bad! Plus, you’ll feel great that you got to do something you love while still being productive.
You can also listen to a conference call while you do dishes or straighten up the office as you help the kids with schoolwork. The key is to just be mindful of what you could be doing as you juggle tasks.
Put Things Away Immediately
Whether it’s taking off a sweater and immediately hanging in the closet or unpacking those groceries, doing it right away means you won’t have to deal with the task later. This helps keep counters and community spaces more open, clean, organized, and welcoming.
Use Essential Oils To Freshen The Air
Having your home SMELL clean is a huge step in the direction of having a home that FEELS clean. But instead of typical air fresheners that usually contain chemicals, use pure essential oils! There’s lots of options so you can find the smells that are most appealing to you. (Cinnamon anyone!?!) I’m very sensitive to artificial smells and usually end up with a headache if I’m around air fresheners but diffusing essential oils is one thing that doesn’t bother me and makes our space smell great.
Add An Air Purifier To Your Home
Along with having your home smell great, be sure to add an Air Purifier to your space. The Purivortex Air Purifier is a great choice to help provide you better air for a healthier life. This space saving unit helps with dust, smell, allergens, and more.
- Upgraded Versatility and Potability: This small air purifier takes a leap with the upgraded bracket design, enabling you to take it with you wherever, be it home, office, travel, or even on the go. You can even lie it down to enjoy 360° fresh air.
- Cozier Warm Night Light: The upgrade air purifier moves from blue light to cozier warm night light, providing a more comfortable and homey experience. The home air purifier enables quiet operation, making as little as 20 dB of sound. So, you will get clean and fresh air for better sleep.
- Powerful 3-Stage Filtration: This mini air purifier combines 3-stage filtration – pre-filter, activated carbon filter and true HEPA filter, to provide clean air. Reduce up to 99.95% of dust, pollutants, pollen, pet fur, orders, smoke.
- 360° Air Intake: The 360° air flow pulls in air from every angle, enabling you to enjoy all-around purification instantly. Power-saving brushless DC motor ensures high-efficiency air filtration.
- Intuitive One-Touch Controls: This unit features 5 timer settings, 3 fan speeds, blue LED switch – one tap on the button and you can choose the right settings for every situation you need.
- Built for Any Space: This small HEPA air purifier can be placed anywhere, on the table or shelf, on the ground or any flat surface, in your bedroom, living room, kitchen, or office desk.
- Your Life Saver For Allergies: Whether its dust, pollens, smoke, fume, airborne particles, odors, pet hair, or dander that bothers you, this small and portable air purifier braves them all! With Vortex Mini 2, every breath has never been so good!
- Good! It’s Green: ZERO ozone, ZERO UV light, ZERO battery, ZERO waste – mean completely eco-friendly from the top to bottom. This versatile air purifier can be recycled so it is green from its birth till the end.
Never Go To Bed With A Dirty Sink
Dishes can pile up fast, especially if your dishwasher is broken (like ours currently is!) One thing that I’ve found to be a huge help is to do dishes a few times a day. If we run behind, I still try to make sure the sink is clean and empty at bedtime. Waking up to a clean kitchen with no dirty dishes is a great way to boost moral for the day and help you feel productive.
Where There Is Love In The Home, There Is Joy In The Heart
A clean home brings me so much joy but I want to impress how much more important love in the home is. Do your best, give yourself grace, and enjoy the small moments. I like having a clean home but there are seasons in life where I have to accept that my house will look very lived in and that’s okay! During those times, pick just a couple items from this list that are doable for you and choose to embrace and enjoy the day.