I received product to facilitate this Tips To Get Through Christmas On A Budget Post. As usual, all opinions are my own.
Christmas is definitely top on my list of favorite holidays. But Christmas can also be very stressful for many families. There has been some years where money has been extremely tight. And that left us little for the added expense of gifts. I know we’re not alone as budgets, or lack there of, is a very real issue for many. The number one issue that causes fights and resentment in marriage is money.
But this Christmas, sit down and talk with your spouse about a budget, expectations, and how your family plans to handle the holidays. We all love to give, and receive, a really great gift. But it’s just not worth going into debt over. Couples with less debt tend to leave happier lives. So this year, I’m sharing some tips to get through Christmas on a budget to try to help relieve some stress.
Tips To Get Through Christmas On A Budget & In Style
Online Shopping Tips:
- Search For A Discount Code When Online Shopping: This is HUGE for me. Any time I’m going to make an online purchase, I ALWAYS google for a discount or free shipping code before ordering. From clothes to check blanks, necessities to wants, I’ve saved a lot of money over the years this way.
- Create An Account: Sign up for the site’s newsletter and create an online account. (You usually do not need to enter payment information to do this.) However, I’ve found that stores will send updates on sales and specials as well as send coupons from time to time.
- Load Your Online Cart And Then Leave: I’ve found that many stores will actually send me a “reminder” email about an item or items that I’ve left in my cart. Sometimes, those emails will even include a bonus discount to head back and submit my order!
- Shop Through Ebates: I’ve earned over $500 back to date from ebates. Just create an account. And any time you plan to do online shopping, visiting their site, log in, and then search for the store. Click through and your shopping trip will be automatically tracked. Different sites offer a percentage of your total back! It literally takes less than a minute and the rewards back are worth it!
Shopping In General:
- Limit Big Purchases: My husband and I have a rule. Any “big” purchase (typically over $200 for a single item) is something that we think about together. We will go to the store, look at the item, and then go home to think it over. Most of the time, we realize that we were acting in the moment and didn’t really need it. But sometimes we go back and buy. So it’s great knowing we’re on the same page and that we won’t regret the purchase later.
- Stick To The Shopping List: If you’re heading in for a shopping trip, make a list. And then, stick to it! Avoid aisles that are temptations. (Ahem….throw pillows anyone?)
- Pay With Cash: Make it a habit to pay with cash. Avoid using credit cards or even check cards where it’s easy to overspend. Seeing those bills disappear is a lot more effective. Plastic makes spending easy. Too easy!
- Watch For Sales And Good Deals: Stores run a variety of sales around the holidays so you can find almost anything at a discount. From clothes to shoes, electronics and more. And many stores will even price match. So ask! You may have to bring in a competitors flyer but I’ve had really good luck just searching on my phone and showing the cashier about an online price.
- Go In Together On Gifts: Shopping for others is fun. But footing the bill is not. So chip in together with others to give mom a bigger present than what one person alone can afford.
- The Gift Of Time: Christmas gifts shouldn’t make such a dent in your budget that it’s hard to recover. Instead, try to think outside the box. Come up with gifts that may take a bit more of your time but not necessarily a big chunk of money. Examples:
- Coupon books for mini-dates for the kids. -Library, Ice Cream Shop, Park-
- Create a gift basket for Ice Cream Sundae’s. -Ice Cream Scoop, Fun Bowl, Sprinkles, Hot Fudge-
- Make The Process Just As Much Fun As The Gift: So you may only be able to afford a $10 gift. But make it fun when you give it! One year, I made up a scavenger hunt for my husband’s godson and nephew. We sent them all over the building as they followed clue after clue. Then, the final clue led them to their gifts. (Both were cash but we didn’t just GIVE it to them. At the end, they each found a tissue box with a tissue sticking out. Attached to that top tissue was a trail of bills taped end to end. They had SO much fun that year!)
Fashionable Shoes On A Budget
One thing that I want when it comes to holidays, parties, and fun is to look great. So a new pair of shoes each Christmas season is nice. And this year, I’m excited to share a Camtrade Footwear with you. Affordable, fashionable, and COMFORTABLE shoes that I love! They actually carry two brands under their name and both have some great options.
Secret Celebrity – Rosella Flats
Named after Rosella Hightower, an accomplished and talented American Ballerina. The Rosella Flats are a wonderful “grab and go” style that fit with just about any outfit!
Its elasticized collar allows stretch for ease to get on and a grip to stay on. Adorned with a broad toe-cap strap, their Secret Celebrity signature gold logo medallion ornament, and lined with a light memory foam insole. This ballerina flat will have you stepping, leaping & twirling with joy!
Available in black, tan, or blush colors. I chose the black. And they retail for just $39.99.
Soft Comfort – Pillow Time Sandals
While no longer available, I still wanted to highlight these Pillow Time Sandals to show what beautiful styles Soft Comfort offers.
Comfort sandals with a stylish flair. The double V-band slides sport pretty floral appliques and a curved footbed for a decidedly feminine look. I love these shoes!
Perfect for a winter getaway to a warm location for this Minnesota girl. They are SO comfortable! And they retail for just $39.99, making them quite affordable.
Connect On Social Media
Be sure to like and follow so you can catch all the latest sales, specials, and announcements.
Secret Celebrity Shoes
Soft Comfort Shoes
One of our lucky Thrifty Nifty Mommy readers will win their very own pair of Rosella Flats! This giveaway is open to the US only. Just enter the widget below for your chance. Good luck!