I love tacos. I actually have this really awesome homemade taco shell recipe that EVERYONE loves. However, I only make it once or twice a year because it’s fairly time consuming. So I find other ways to sneak this yummy Mexican dish into our meals. One way, that’s a bit unique but super yummy, is with my Taco Lasagna!
Taco Lasagna – The Taco With A Twist
When I was trying to come up with an easy way to serve tacos to the guys who were doing field work one day, I decided to layer it in a pan. This way, they could eat it with a fork and a “slice” would be just as or more filling than a couple of tacos. Plus, the dish stays hotter than a typical taco would. So it’s a win all the way around.
Easy to Make
Of course, you can easily customize this recipe to your family’s preference. Simply add black beans, olives, or anything else you prefer. We keep it a bit more simple and kid-friendly though.
The layering is quick and easy. Start with shells and top with the meat mixture.
A drizzle of taco sauce adds just the right amount of additional flavor.
Finish each layer with an even spread of cheese.
Serve plain for the pickier eaters. (Honestly, it tastes great this way!)
Or add your favorite taco toppings!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later or print it now and make for supper!
- 1# ground beef
- 1 can diced tomatoes w/green chilis
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ¼ cup taco seasoning
- ¼ cup water
- 2# shredded cheese
- 6-9 large tortilla shells (the soft flour tortilla shells)
- Taco sauce
- Additional seasonings - garlic salt, onions salt, seasoning salt, and black pepper
- Shredded lettuce, Tomatoes, & Sour Cream for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Brown ground beef and diced onion in a large kettle. Season with the garlic salt, onions salt, seasoning salt, and black pepper while browning.
- Once the hamburger is cooked thoroughly, add diced tomatoes w/green chilis, salsa, taco seasoning, and water. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Place 2 to 3 large tortillas into bottom of pan. (I like to trim them a bit to make a good fit but toss trimmings in! No need to waste.)
- Scoop ⅓ of meat mixture onto tortillas and spread evenly.
- Drizzle with taco sauce.
- Top with a thin layer of shredded cheese.
- Repeat the tortilla shell/meat//taco sauce/cheese layer two more times and end with cheese on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or till cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.
- Cut and serve topped with shredded lettuce, sour cream, and tomatoes. Or leave plain for the picky eaters. 🙂 Enjoy!
And be sure to let me know what your family thinks in the comments below! Looking for a great dessert to pair with this Taco Lasagna recipe? Try this Cuban flanCuban flan recipe – it’s a unique dessert your family will love!