With having to run our foster baby for visits Monday mornings, getting lunch on the table for our family gets tricky. I have to leave just after 7am and only get home close to 11. So that leaves a short window of prep if I wait till my return. This past week, I decided that I wanted to be able to relax a bit when I got home. So I wanted to throw something in the slow cooker to avoid the big rush. None of the usual stuff sounded good though. So instead, I got creative and created this Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Recipe.
I Love Simple Slow Cooker Meals
Part of my love of slow cooker meals is the lack of dishes involved. Toss everything in and let the pot do the magic. And, this Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Recipe is no different!
I used my medium sized slow cooker, which I believe is a 4 quart. Simply layer the chicken, salsa, and seasonings inside. I didn’t actually measure my seasonings but I’d say about 1/2 teaspoon of each.
Then I put on the cover and headed out the door to drop off baby and run errands during his two-hour visit.
Upon my return, I simply shredded the chicken. (***My kitchen tip is to use kitchen scissors for shredding! Works like magic and so much easier than using two forks.)
And then top with a block of cream cheese. (This is also where I was thinking you could add a bag of frozen corn if you’d like. However, I didn’t this time.) Give it at least 30 minutes to melt and heat back up.
The results are a delicious and creamy chicken mixture!
The kids and I love to add this Mexican Chicken Recipe to a tortilla shell and top with fixings but my husband actually forgoes the shell and just layers on his plate.
Print This Simple Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Recipe For Easy Use
- 2 1/2 Pound Bag Of Frozen Chicken Breasts
- 1 Jar Of Salsa
- 10 Flour Tortilla Shells
- 1/2 tsp. of each: Seasoning Salt, Garlic Salt, Onion Salt, Pepper, and Taco OR Mexican Seasoning
- Block Of Cream Cheese
- 1 Bag Of Frozen Corn (optional)
- Fixings: Lettuce, Tomatoes, Shredded Cheese, Sour Cream, etc.
- Place the frozen chicken, jar of salsa, and all 5 seasonings into the slow cooker.
- Top the cooker with a cover.
- Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Shred chicken in slow cooker. (TIP: Using a scissors to “shred” works great!)
- Add block of cream cheese and corn.
- Return the cover and cook on high for another 30 to 60 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla shells and fixings.
This Mexican Chicken Recipe turned out even better than I had imagined! And it was so simple too. It will definitely be added into our meal rotation as the flavor was amazing.