This recipe for Spiced Apple Butter was shared with me by my sister. It’s perfect to fix with your fall apple harvest!
Simply Spiced Apple Butter Recipe
- 12 lbs of Honeycrisp apples (about 16 apples)
- 2 1/2 cups of white sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Wash apples
- Peel, core, and thinly slice half of the apples.
- Mix 2 cups of sugar (reserving the other 1/2 cup for later), 2 tsp cinnamon (reserving 1/2 for later), cloves, allspice, and salt.
- Pour the mixture over the sliced apples.
- Mix thoroughly and pour into your slow cooker.
- Cook on high for an hour, then turn the slow cooker down to low and cook for 10-12 hours, stirring occasionally.
- After the first round of cooking, peel and slice the rest of the apples, then add them into the slow cooker, stirring them in with the rest of the mixture.
- Add another 1/2 cup of white sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Stir well and complete the same cook process as before (1 hour on high followed by 10-12 hours on low, stirring occasionally).
- After the final cook, turn off your slow cooker and let the apple butter cool completely.
- If you prefer a smoother apple butter, stir with a whisk until you reach your desired consistency.
- This recipe yields nine 8oz jars of apple butter.
I prefer honeycrisp apples but you can use another type if you’d like.
This homemade spiced apple butter recipe is one we like to enjoy every Thanksgiving, along with this homemade turkey injection recipe that we use for our roast turkey with a side of these skillet green beans and these balsamic vinegarette sweet potatoes.