I love creating delicious meals and treats for my family and friends. The kids and I just rounded off a month of baking goodies at church even! We raise money for the local Pregnancy Resource Center’s Walk For Life. This was actually our seventh year doing this. But we’ve found that having a variety of treats available at the table draws people in to talk and snack. And once they learn about the kid’s dedication and mission to help save the lives of little ones, they will typically sponsor them for the walk. So as worked on treats this year, we decided to whip up some Salted Caramel Billionaire Bars.
Salted Caramel Billionaire Bars
Sweet and gooey, chewy and chocolatey, they are simply irresistible! There are several steps that go into making this rich dessert but nothing too difficult. Hannah, who just turned 13, is actually the one who whipped these up even! Here’s the printable recipe but keep reading if you prefer step-by-step photos.
- 1lb. Pillsbury Sugar Cookie Dough
- 6 Ounces Caramels
- 8 Ounces Caramel Ice Cream Topping
- 1/2 Cup + 2 Tablespoons Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3/4 Cup Butter
- 2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 Cup Peanut Butter
- 3/4 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- 1 1/2 Cups Regular Chocolate Chips
- Extra Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a 9×13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Press the Pillsbury Sugar Cookie Dough evenly into bottom of pan.
- Bake according to package directions and then set aside to let cool.
- As the crust is baking, combine the caramels, caramel topping, and 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream in a kettle. Melt over low heat while stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Once smooth, remove from heat.
- Pour caramel mixture evenly over the cooled sugar cookie crust. Place in freezer for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, add softened butter, brown sugar, flour, salt, 2 tablespoons cream, and vanilla. Mix until well combined and fluffy and then stir in the mini chocolate chips.
- Spread the chocolate chip cookie dough layer gently over the caramel layer being careful to not press too hard. You want to keep these as two separate layers. Place in refrigerator again until the next step is ready.
- Melt the 1 1/2 cups regular chocolate chips and peanut butter together and then spread over the top of the cookie dough layer.
- Lightly sprinkle with sea salt.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Cut and serve.
- *You will want to keep these stored in the refrigerator as they do get gooey at room temp.
Step By Step
After preheating the oven, grease a 9×13 pan with cooking spray. Then, just press the Pillsbury Cookie dough into the bottom of the pan.
Bake according to the package and once done, set aside to cool.
While the crust is baking and cooling, it’s time to work on the caramel layer. Slowly melt the caramels, caramel topping, and whipping cream over low heat. Be sure to stir constantly to avoid burning.
Pour caramel evenly over cooled crust. Gently spread if necessary.
Flash freeze for about 10 minutes as you whip up the cookie dough layer. Once ready, drop in small spoonfuls across the entire crust. Gently spread flat, being careful to not mix the layers. Then place in refrigerator while you make the next step.
Melt the chocolate and peanut butter together. I prefer to use a double boiler but a kettle or microwave would work as well. Once completely melted, take the pan out of the refrigerator and pour chocolate mixture over top of cookie layer.
Sprinkle coarse crystals of sea salt over the top.
Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. (I LOVE using my Personalization Mall Covered Cake Pan as it makes storing and traveling with my desserts super easy.)
Cut and serve. Enjoy your irresistible Salted Caramel Billionaire Bars!