I was never a huge fan of fish growing up but one seafood dish I always loved was my Mom’s salmon cakes. There’s still something about frying them up in my own kitchen that takes me back to those days watching her cook. I created my own recipe for Salmon Cakes, which I’ve been making for years now for my own family. Even the kids eat these up! There’s never leftovers when it’s Salmon Cakes for dinner. This recipe includes a little kick with added jalapeno (don’t worry – it’s not too spicy – if my four-year-old can handle it, you’ll be just fine)!
- 20 oz salmon (I use the Salmon in the pouches)
- 1 medium jalapeno chopped
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- 2 eggs beaten
- salt & pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
**Fill bottom of skillet (I love my cast iron!) with vegetable oil on medium heat.
- Empty salmon into a mixing bowl. I use the salmon that’s already been de-boned and skin picked out. I have painful memories of the canned salmon that my Mom always bought (no doubt because she was on a tight budget) and spending forever picking out all those bones. Salmon in a pouch – it’s a God-send!
- Chop up the jalapeno and green onion.
3. Add the jalapeno, green onion, bread crumbs to the salmon and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Beat 2 eggs in a separate dish, add it to the salmon and mix until it’s well incorporated.
5. Form Salmon into 8 patty’s. I turned one of my 8 into two because sometimes my 4-year-old can’t quite put a whole one away. Put patty’s into the fridge until they are ready to be fried.
6. Fry salmon cakes in medium to medium high heat until golden brown on both sides – between 3 to 5 minutes per side. Try your best to only have to flip them once – if you end up flipping them back and forth multiple times you run the risk of them breaking apart.
7. Place fried salmon cakes paper towels to drain and serve immediately with ketchup (sorry – West Virginia girl here) or tartar sauce. I love serving mine with asparagus and roasted potatoes! We had no leftovers in our house tonight!
Click HERE for more Our Southern Style recipes!