We live in Minnesota. Some days I honestly wonder why. If I had not been born here, it wouldn’t be on the top of my destination list Why you ask? Because we can literally have three different season. ALL IN THE SAME WEEK! Honestly though, other than the unpredictable weather, it’s not truly that bad. I love seeing the fresh blooms of spring. Then comes the warm sunshine of summer. Seeing the gorgeous leaves changing in fall is an absolutely beauty. And then comes winer. I could do without winter. But I know it’s needed to bring about the changes that come again after. For now though, I want to share some of our favorite outdoor rainy day activities for kids.
What Season Is It
Lately, we’ve been having a mix of summer and fall with a touch of winter. Which means some cloudy days, some sunny days, and some rainy days. Then Mother Nature sneaks in a super cold day in the mix. And I’m totally NOT ready for those 30 and 40 degree days yet! So at the moment, we have gear out for all three seasons. Because you never know when you’ll need your rain coat, winter coat, or a tank top. Ah, the beauty of Minnesota!
Get Out And Enjoy The Rain
Even on rainy days, there’s no reason to keep the kids cooped up indoors. Unless there’s lightning and it’s dangerous of course! But some of my best childhood memories are from playing outside in the rain and puddles. So as long as it’s safe, we encourage our kids to get out and enjoy the rain. And the aftermath that results in tons of worms too. The kids really enjoy walking around checking out those.
20 Outdoor Rainy Day Activities For Kids
If you are tired of being cooped up on rainy days, break the mold. Head outdoors and enjoy the rainfall. Here’s a list of fun outdoor rainy day activities for kids:
- Dance In The Rain
- Rescue Those Worms
- Make Some Mud Pies
- Splash In A Puddle
- Catch Rain Drops On Your Tongue (Makes good practice for when those snowflakes come next!)
- Bring Some Water Toys Out To The Puddles
- Build A Mini Dam On A Slope Using Rocks, Sticks, & Leaves
- Measure & Track The Rainfall With A Rain Gauge Or Even Just A Ruler
- Go For A Nature Walk And Notice How Different Things Look When It’s Raining
- Draw In The Mud With A Stick
- Play In Your Sand (MUD!) Box (The rain makes it easier to build those sand castles!)
- Walk Around And Feel The Squishy Ground Beneath Your Feet
- Create Chalk Art (The colors are much bolder on a wet surface!)
- Start Your Own Rain Band (Grab a variety of pots, pans, bowls, and more along with some spoons and make some music in the rain.)
- Search For Rainbows
- Experiments & Hypothesis (Set out a variety of different sized cups and containers and have the kids guess which will fill first.)
- Puddle Jump (See who can jump over the biggest puddles and land safely.)
- Sing In The Rain (Although my kids tend to chant “rain rain go away, come again another day.” It’s catchy.)
- Have A Boat Race Down A Stream With Leaves
- Play On Your Playground And Notice How Much Faster Your Slide Is
- Play Tag With Your Family Or Friends (And have the safe spot be a certain puddle!)
Stephen Joseph Has Your Kids Rain Gear Covered
So when you’re ready to head out to enjoy those outdoor rainy day activities for kids, make sure you load up on adorable Stephen Joseph Rain Gear first. They have such adorable and unique choices for kids. Their bright colors and fun patterns just make the entire experience better.
Kids Rain Coats, Rain Boots, & Umbrellas
I love Stephen Joseph’s rain gear lineup! The fact that they designed their lines to match is awesome. It was a really hard choice but we ended up settling on the Horse design for Lucy and the Robots for Sam. My kids adore their rain sets and get so excited to gear up every time we head out and it’s raining.
The Stephen Joseph Rain Coats are beyond adorable. Lightweight with a cotton lining, these little rain coats are flexible and comfortable. The rugged durable zipper is a great feature as it keeps kids better protected than buttons. Both waterproof and machine washable, you can encourage kids to go out and get dirty!
Seriously, how cute are these boots! And they are perfect for keeping the kids’ feet warm and dry. While not every style features it, I really do like the little tabs on the sides as it gives the kids a place to grab while slipping into their boots.
The exteriors are 100% waterproof rubber while the insides feature a 100% polyester lining. The non-slip sole is great for helping keep footing during all that play.
Finally, check out these umbrellas! I don’t know about you but my kids are obsessed with umbrellas! And I have to admit that these are pretty awesome. Really fun, bright designs that kids love. And the fact that they are specifically sized for kids makes them even more fun. ***Tip: We actually love to use umbrellas all summer long too! Bring them along when you are waiting for a parade to start as they offer some shade against the hot sun!
So what do you think? What is your favorite of our outdoor rainy day activities for kids? Are you going to brave the weather and head outdoors next time those clouds filter in?
Buy It: Head over to Stephen Joseph Gifts to see for yourself the great selection of products they offer.
Stephen Joseph Gifts is generously offering one of our lucky readers a trio of kids rain gear including: 1 Rain Coat, 1 Pair Of Boots, & 1 Umbrella! The winner may choose from any in-stock size and design. For your chance to win, enter the Giveaway Tools below. Good luck!