It feels like I am constantly having to come behind the kids to shut off lights that they leave on. It is an annoying waste of energy and money devoted to light that isn’t being used. No matter how many times I seem to tell the kiddos to shut off the lights, it is the last thing on their minds. They constantly forget. I know that they don’t mean to. They just have more important matters on their minds… like how to destroy the living room or my sanity one piece at a time.
Many new homes are being built with smart energy solutions but that doesn’t mean that you can’t update your existing home. Why should new homes be the only ones that get the cool tech? The best part is, it is easier and less expensive to update your current home than you might think!
One super-easy update you can do in just an hour or so is to install Lutron dimmer switch and motion sensor combos. Combination switches like this offer you the greatest control over the lighting in a particular room without depleting your budget or requiring extensive modifications. The dimmer allows you to keep the lighting at your preferred level while the motion sensor saves you money on your energy bill by shutting off the lights after a predetermined amount of time without any movement. It is the combo of convenience!
Why Lutron Lighting Switches?
There are a ton of options out there in lighting switches for you to choose from, so why choose Lutron? Lutron offers more reliable dimming performance over incandescent dimmers when controlling compact flourescent bulbs (CFLs) and LEDs and are compatible with the broadest range of dimmable CFLs and LEDs. On top of that, Lutron dimmer switches have some pretty cool features that the other leading brands don’t. For example, Lutron dimmer switches feature a delayed fade-to-off that allows time for you to exit a room before the lights turn off! The Maestro can even be used with light fixtures that are connected to multiple switches!
Features of the Lutron Maestro C•L Dimmer Switch
We had the opportunity to try out the Lutron Maestro C•L dimmer switch and knew that it would be the perfect solution for the kid’s room. The Maestro offers fantastic programming controls that allow you to customize the unit to achieve your individual needs. The programming features include Timeout, Sensitivity, Auto-on and Occupied Level.
- Timeout is the approximate time in minutes after which the lights will turn OFF after the last motion is detected. The default setting timeout is 5 minutes but can be adjusted to 1, 3, 15, or 30 minutes.
- Sensitivity is the setting that determines how sensitive the sensor will be. Lowering the sensitivity will cause the Maestro Sensor Dimmer to respond only to larger movements.
- Auto-on is the automatic functionality of the Maestro Sensor Dimmer that can be adjusted to control how the lights respond upon initial occupancy. There are four available Auto‑ON settings: Enabled, Disabled, Ambient Light Detect (ALD), and OFF‑While‑Occupied (OWO). The default setting is Enabled.
- The Occupied Level setting determines how much light will be automatically turned ON when motion is detected.
Between these programmable features, anyone should be able to find the right fit for their preferences.
As with all things electrical, one must be extremely cautious with installation. If you have any doubt about how to complete the installation safely, contact your local electrician to complete the installation for you. Safety should be your number one concern!
- Shut off the breakers in the breaker box for the room in which you will be installing the Lutron switch. It is a good idea to double check that the power has been disconnected to the room by attempting to switch the light on and off.
- Remove the old plate and switch assembly. This will require a screwdriver.
- Identify and note your circuit type. Use this guide as reference:
- Disconnect the wires from the old switch.
- Connect your new Lutron switch using the appropriate wiring configuration as noted from your old switch.
- Install the Lutron switch assembly and face plate.
- Restore power to the room by resetting your breaker switch in your breaker box.
It’s that easy!
What We Think of the Lutron Maestro
The Maestro has been a great addition to the kid’s room. It has saved Janessa and I trips up the stairs to turn the lights on for the kiddos who are afraid of the dark and (humorously) it acts as an early warning to us when someone gets out of bed when they shouldn’t be! I like the programmable features as they allow you to get the Maestro adjusted perfectly for your particular situation and preferences.
The kids (obviously) enjoyed toying with the new motion sensor. They would find random reasons to go upstairs to their room just to see the light come on automatically. Jake, as he always does, followed the lead of his big sister. I wonder when the newness will wear off? Probably not any time soon. They get such a kick out of automated things! Really, for the price, ease of installation, programmability, and effectiveness, you can’t beat the Lutron Maestro. It’s been a great energy saver and added convenience for us and the kids like the peace of mind that the light will come on and banish the dark immediately upon entering their room.
If you are like us and want to save energy, money, and time, Lutron is a great brand to go with. Their product line isn’t limited to switches. They offer everything from standalone controls and bulbs all the way up to complete building controls! Check it out. They have some really cool stuff! They are sure to have the right product for you and your family.
Connect: Visit Lutron on Facebook. Then follow them on YouTube, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Buy It: You can find Lutron products at Lowes, Home Depot, and other home improvement stores.
Win It: Come back next week for a great giveaway!