Do you consider your family to be an active, athletic family? Some people really worry that having children will slow them down, and while there are certain activities my husband and I once loved that we can’t do nearly as often anymore (like playing tennis) we try to stay active by enjoying other activities that our whole family can do together. With 3 children 5 and under (plus a 4th on the way) having a double stroller with us wherever we go is a MUST! When I’m going shopping or taking the kids to a museum, I love my Joovy Too Qool. It’s perfect for navigating through tight clothing racks and crowded rooms. But, when the weather is nice, we love to get outside and get moving and that’s when we break out the Joovy CocoonX2 .
The Joovy CocoonX2 is the perfect stroller for the active family because it can be used, not only as a regular stroller, but also as a jogging stroller AND as a bicycle trailer! Here are the details of this stroller (sourced from Joovy.com).
This unique double stroller is fun for the kids and extremely versatile for active families. The CocoonX2 is constructed of quality components, has tons of space for storage and converts easily to a double jogging stroller or bike trailer with the purchase of optional accessories. The CocoonX2 will have everyone in the family smiling and ready for the next outdoor adventure.
- SAFETY 2 5 – point safety harnesses, reflective material, safety flag
- CONVERTS To double bike trailer or jogger w/ optional attachments
- WHEELS Pneumatic front swivel & 20″ rear
- SPACE Extra large interior space. Fits though most standard door at 31” wide
- STORAGE Large storage basket with zipper open/close
- WINDOWS 2 huge side windows, zippered entry. Mesh window for ventilation
- 6M+ up to 2 x 50 lbs
- Stroller Weight – 35 lbs.
- Minimum Age – 6 months as a stroller/jogger and 12 months as a trailer
- Max Child Weight – 100 lbs (or 2 kids 50 lbs. each)
- Stroller Dimensions Folded (with wheels) – 20″H x 31″W x 40″L
- Stroller Dimensions Folded (without wheels) – 11.5″H x 31″W x 40″L
- Stroller Dimensions Assembled – 41″H x 31″W x 40″L
- Interior Dimensions: Seat: 23″ H x 23” W x 10” D , Leg Room: 13” D (from seat-back to front 23” total)
- Storage Compartment: 23” H x 23” W x 9” D
We spent the spring and summer with this stroller, really trying it out, and now I’m ready to give you my thoughts on it. Let me start by talking about the quality. We have a very similar stroller from another brand (does all 3 — jogging, stroller, and bicycle trailer) and the Joovy CocoonX2 is vastly superior. The minute I pulled it out of the box I could tell that this stroller was really made well and made to last.
When it was time to assemble the stroller, I tried to do it on my own, but in the end called on the muscle strength of my husband to get it all together. I have to admit though that I, knowing he is available, I tend to call him when I reach any sort of resistance when assembling something. Had he not been available, I probably would have gotten it together on my own, eventually. The biggest struggle was that it felt like the fabric cover was really tight, so once it was assembled we left it fully open for over a month to ensure the fabric was adequately stretched and easier to open/close in the future.
We live close enough to the C&O Canal Towpath that we spend a lot of our time there when the weather is nice. It’s great for walking the dog, jogging, or taking the family for a bicycle ride. When we can’t make it there we enjoy just taking a nice walk or ride through our development. It’s a great way to end the evening on a summer night. The Joovy CocoonX2 is easy enough to transport where you need to take it with you; you can even remove the wheels to make it more compact.
Some of the things I love most about this stroller are:
- LOTS of storage! You can fit so much in the back of this thing and because you can zip the storage area closed, nothing falls out.
- Bug cover/weather covering — I remember one time when we tried to take my oldest daughter for a walk at the towpath when she was just a few months old. The mosiquitos were so bad, we didn’t get to stay out for long. No one wants their child to have to suffer through a number of bug bites and the bug cover keeps them out, while letting fresh air in. Not only does it keep bugs out, it keeps pacifiers, cups, toys, etc., IN the stroller.
- Handles like a dream! The big pneumatic wheels on the back make all the difference in the world! This stroller is so easy to push and steer. Whether it’s on the sidewalk or up our grassy hill, I love to push this thing! Changing out the tires between jogging and regular stroller mode is quick and simple, taking less than 5 minutes. I’ve never pulled a bicycle trailer on my bike before, but the Joovy trailer is amazing! I’m 6 months pregnant and found that pulling my two kids behind me (combined over 90 pounds) was SO much easier than I thought it would be. It took the turns really well and I felt very comfortable and confident pulling it.
So, are there any drawbacks to this stroller? Depending on what you’re looking for in a stroller, there could be. Let’s talk about them:
- (Generally) not for all-day trips. You could use this on an all-day excursion, but there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind. The first is that you can’t recline the seat, so if you are going to be gone for an entire day (say for a trip to the zoo) and your little one is going to fall asleep, you might not want to take this stroller. Now if your child is a little bit older, that might not be a big deal.
- Jogging wheel is fixed. What that means is that you aren’t going to get any swivel out of it. For some joggers, this might be just what you’re looking for. However, if you are jogging in an area with a lot of turns it might make things a little bit more difficult for you on your run. I wish there was a way to adjust the wheel to be swivel/fixed depending on conditions.
- Lastly, the price might deter some buyers. They say, “you get what you pay for,” and that’s very true with this stroller. The stroller itself is priced at $549.99 and does not come with the optional jogging stroller wheel attachment (priced at $69.99), the optional bicycle trailer hitch (for $69.99) or the parent organizer ($39.99). I realize when you add all of these prices together, it’s not going to fit into the budget of every parent. However, for those of you who spend a lot of time jogging and/or biking with your family, this is a high-quality stroller that’s going to hold up while you’re out burning calories.
Some features are much easier to see in action, so I made a complete video review for you for this stroller review. Check it out!
Overall, if you’re looking for a stroller for your active lifestyle, the Joovy CocoonX2 is going to be just what you’re looking for. If your double stroller needs are more to shop at the mall, take the kids to the zoo, and other every-day use, I’d suggest that you check out something like the Joovy Too Qool or the Joovy Scooter X2 Double Stroller if you’re on a tight budget, as they will probably be a better fit for you.