This post has been sponsored by Zatarain’s.
We have a household of five children, four of whom are very picky eaters. The other one is still breastfeeding, so he doesn’t complain. The pickiness makes it difficult to prepare things that require ingredients outside of a certain spectrum or meals outside of certain “acceptable” staples. You know, things like chicken nuggets, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, various fruits, carrots, etc. It is so hard to make sure they eat a variety of foods and nutrients!
Every once in a while, I hit a home run with a new recipe. Instead of the standard interrogation about “what is this green stuff?” I achieve a recipe that transcends the pickiness and the kids eat it with thankfulness and even ask for additional portions. I hang on to recipes like these especially due to their rarity. It’s like getting proof of the existence of Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster in the same photo!
Now that school is starting back up, having easy and quick recipes is also a key. Between maintaining our home and homeschooling our children, I am very tired at the end of the day and cooking a complicated meal is simply out of the question as I lack the energy and time to do so. Whipping up something very simple at the end of a day of homeschooling and housework just makes the day a little easier! I am certain all moms can identify with this!
Fajita chicken and rice casserole is one such recipe! It’s quick, easy, and the whole family loves it! We don’t always have leftovers for this meal, but when we do, they are quickly eaten the following day. Our family loves this recipe so much, I just had to share it with you. Fix it this week for your family – I think you’ll love it too!
Fajita Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe
- 3-4 chicken breasts (about 1 pound of meat)
- 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis (undrained)
- 1 can cream of chicken
- 1 cup diced bell peppers – various colors (I get all 4 colors and then cut the extra peppers into strips for snacking during the week since you’ll only need about 1/3 of each pepper.)
- 1 small-medium sized red onion
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese
- 1 box Zatarain’s
- Boil chicken until cooked through.
- Shred boiled chicken breasts.
- While the chicken is boiling, cut and dice bell peppers.
- Combine all ingredients, reserving 1 cup of Mexican cheese, into a large bowl and stir well.
- In a 13×9 pan, spray with olive oil and pour combined ingredients into pan.
- Bake at 350° for 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining cup of Mexican cheese.
- Return pan to oven and bake until cheese melts, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for several minutes.
Initially, when I presented this recipe to the kids, there were some questions about the various colorful ingredients. After enticing them to a single bite each, they were immediately hooked. I love the hint of lime and cilantro that the Zatarain’s rice mix adds to this dish!
Instead of complaints or argument about eating the appropriate amount, there were requests for more! This is even more welcome now that the school year is beginning! Using Zatarain’s rice makes dinner prep so much easier. For one, as a confession, I hate having to measure out spices. A box of Zatarain’s already has all the ingredients properly measured and proportioned so preparation is extremely simple. Additionally, the ingredients are wholesome so you can feel good about serving it to your family. I always keep a few boxes on hand for weeknights. Just pair them with a meat and a veggie and you’ve got a delicious, easy, and flavorful meal!
Looking for another delicious weeknight meal featuring Zatarain’s Cilantro Lime Rice? Try this Shrimp and Veggie Cilantro Lime Rice recipe!