A couple years ago, we were in a homeschooling co-op. We only met once a month so it wasn’t too overwhelming. The theme for the year was countries. It was pretty neat, actually, because each family took one date and got to organize lessons around whichever country they chose. I picked Italy. And if you want the complete truth, I took it because I thought it would be easy to find lesson ideas. Turns out, it was! But the kids and I had a blast doing it. By the time I had my lesson complete, we ended up with over 3 hours of activities and an amazing easy homemade pizza dough recipe, among other things. Since it was so well received, I’m actually planning on building off it and using it again in our new co-op next month!
Italy = Italian Food = PIZZA!
Since one of my goals in homeschooling is to teach my kids life skills, I made sure to include a cooking lesson. On my Italy hunt, I tried several different recipes and came across this really great, easy Homemade Pizza dough recipe. My husband likes it so much that he says it’s better than “gas station pizza”. (And our local gas station had some pretty great pizza at the time!) The best part is that it’s fairly easy to make. Plus, it was a HUGE hit at co-op.
Any Time Is Homemade Pizza Time
I utilize a kitchen stand mixer as it makes creating this crust almost effortless. Put all the ingredients in and let the machine do the work!
- Combine dry ingredients in the bowl.
- Then, add water and oil.
- Let dough mix until it forms a solid ball.
- Scrape sides of bowl and drizzle additional oil over ball.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour (or doubled in size).
- Dump dough onto greased pizza pan and press out.
- After resting for 10 minutes, top with sauce and toppings of choice.
Easy Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe (Printable!)
- 4 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 2¼ Teaspoons Instant Dry Yeast
- 1½ Cups Warm (NOT Boiling) Water
- 2 Teaspoons Sea Salt
- 2 Tablespoons + 2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
- ***Plus toppings of choice
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in a stand mixer bowl.
- As the mixer is running, add water and 2 Tablespoons oil.
- Continue beating until the dough forms a firm ball.
- Scrape the sides into the ball.
- Turn off mixer and drizzle the ball with 2 teaspoons oil.
- Cover bowl and let rise for 1 hour or till doubled in size.
- Grease your pizza pan and press into desired shape. *I usually use my 12x18 pan but you can divide and make into individual pizzas as well.
- Let dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Top with desired sauce and toppings.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or till fully cooked.
- Serve immediately.
This easy homemade pizza dough recipe is so easy to make that I usually just hand the recipe to the kids and have them get it all prepped for me. And the taste is by far worth the time involved to plan ahead for the rising.
Whether you have picky kids who just want cheese or load this crust up with lots of toppings, it always comes out so delicious! If you give this easy homemade pizza dough recipe a try, make sure to let me know what you think in the comments!