This Diono Radian 3RXT Safe+ Review is sponsored by Diono. As always, all opinions are my own.
Growing up, I used to babysit for a family who had four kids. For the first three, they used an infant car seat but when they had baby number four, they actually used a convertible immediately. While I was just a teenager at the time, it had just never occurred to me that you didn’t NEED an infant car seat. Now as an adult, it surprises me that I still run into parents (or expecting parents) who have no idea that a convertible seat can be a great, and economical, choice from newborn on!
What Is A Convertible Car Seat
Convertible car seats are specially designed to be usable in rear-facing mode for little ones and then can convert for forward-facing use and sometimes even booster mode once the child has outgrown the rear-facing (and then forward facing 5-point harness) limitations. This means that, in theory, you could buy a single seat to last through all of your child’s car seat years.
Reasons To Consider Skipping An Infant Car Seat
- They are expensive. Purchasing an infant bucket seat and then replacing with a second convertible seat less than a year later is expensive! As mentioned above, theoretically, you truly only NEED to buy one car seat as most convertible car seats are usable from 5 pounds and up.
- The usage timeline is short. Most infant car seats are only good till a child is 25-30 pounds but you also need to watch the height limitations as children tend to outgrow that before they hit the weight limit. As soon as they outgrow ONE of these limitations, you need to upgrade to a convertible seat. Many infants outgrow their seats by 6-9 months of age.
- Car seats are designed for use in the car. While most people carry their babies around in the bucket style infant car seats, it’s better for baby to be out of that seat when NOT in the car. Yes those bucket seats can be convenient at times but if babies are left in them too much, it can inhibit natural development. Instead, strap baby in a carrier when shopping and lay baby on the floor under a play gym when you get home.
- Infant bucket style car seats are HEAVY! Any parent will tell you how heavy that seat gets once you place baby in. So it only makes sense that carrying the combination of seat and baby around will put a strain on you resulting in headaches, backaches, pulled muscles, and other problems.
- They can become unsafe when used in ways not intended. While infant carseats are safe when used according to their manuals, you’ll often spot them being used in unsafe ways. They are NOT intended to be placed on the top of a shopping cart or other elevated surfaces. Babies who tip on elevated surfaces can suffer falls that result in serious injuries. As mentioned above, car seats are also not designed to be used as a sleeping space. So once you arrive at your destination, even if baby is asleep, it’s recommended you remove them from the seat immediately. Finally, infant bucket style car seats are also at risk of not being buckled in correctly or not latching securely due to user error since they are in and out of the vehicle so often.
Diono Radian 3RXT Safe+ Review
The beloved all-in-one 3-across Radian just got a whole lot safer. The 3RXT Safe+, previously available only in Canada, has been released in the U.S. just in time for summer! This brand new release features 18 safety upgrades from the award-winning 3RXT, including a steel anti-rebound bar, anti-slip harness pads, and a newborn travel high wedge for improved positioning and comfort.
Radian 3RXT Safe+ Features:
The Radian 3RXT Safe+ is loaded with great features that parents and the kiddos who will be using the seat will love.
- 18 UPGRADES FROM RADIAN 3RXT: The new design includes Safe+ easy adjust 12 position headrest, 6 layers of Safe+ Side impact protection, and Safe+ testing.
- CHEST BUCKLE IS EASY TO PLACE: The chest clip is easy to slide into position (and even has a reminder imprinted to place at armpit level). There are also strap covers that come with this seat for added comfort for your kiddo.
- COMES WITH A CUP HOLDER: While I would prefer a built in cup holder, the 3RXT Safe+ does come with an attachable cup holder for the side.
- COMPLETE REAR-FACING PROTECTION: The Safe+ is designed with a steel anti-rebound bar that reduces rebound rotation by up to 50% for extended rear-facing travel of up to 50 pounds.
- SAFE+ ENGINEERING: The 3RXT+ features a unique combination of engineering features and has been tested to the highest safety standards to ensure Diono is delivering the safest seat possible.
- EASY TO USE ANCHOR BUCKLE: The straps and buckle to secure this seat with your vehicle’s anchors are easy to access and use. To release, just give the red straps a secure pull.
- 10 YEARS ONE CAR SEAT: While most car seat brands’ seats expire after 6 years, you’ll find that Diono is a step above. This seat is good for 10 years! From rear-facing to forward facing, the Radian 3RXT Safe+ adapts as your child grows from birth to booster.
- FRONT STRAP EXTENDER: The button to loosen and tighten the buckle straps is easy to access and located on the front of this car seat.
- SAFE FOR INFANTS AND UP: This seat is suitable from babies and children from 4 to 120 pounds.
- BUTTON SECURELY CLICKS: When each strap buckle is placed into the latch securely, you’ll hear an audible click.
- THE ORIGINAL RADIAN 3 ACROSS: Diono is synonymous with the phrase ‘3 across’. The 3RXT+ is built with their famous Radian slim fit convertible design for a 3-across fit with any Diono Radian combination without compromising child or passenger comfort. This allows parents to feel safe while having your children secure in the backseat.
- REAR FACING….LONGER: Safety conscious parents will appreciate that this seat is engineered to keep your child rear-facing for longer (up to 50 lb.)!
- AVAILABLE IN 5 COLOR CHOICES: While color may not be a big deal to some, it’s huge for others. So parents and children alike will delight in the fact that you can choose from five different colors including: black jet, gray slate, red cherry, blue sky, and purple plum.
The Diono 3RXT Safe+ is truly a great seat. Its slim design is perfect for our big family as space is a premium in our vehicle. The purple color we received is absolutely beautiful. Plus, I really appreciate all the safety features in this seat as well as ease of use.
This seat appears to be quite comfortable and works great for napping while we drive. Even though we have to take Ruby out when we get somewhere, I just pop her into my carrier and she is quick to fall back asleep if she’s still tired.
Whether you choose to start with an infant car seat and then upgrade to a convertible or choose convertible only, just making sure your child is correctly buckled in a seat designed for their height and weight that also fits securely in your vehicle is the most important thing. The rest is just preference on what works best for your family. But when the time comes for you to get a convertible, definitely check out all that Diono has to offer.
So tell me, what kind of car seat have you chosen for your children?
Connect With Diono
Have you done any traveling with your kids? While it may seem daunting, road tripping with children doesn’t have to be hard! We’ve shared 15 screen free travel must haves for kids and practical tips for road trip success that can help make it as painless as possible. Considering driving down to Florida or California for Disney? We also have details on traveling to Disney with young kids as well as what you need to know before you go to Disney in 2022.