I’m a huge fan of chocolate. So any time we head out to a restaurant to eat, I tend to lean towards chocolate cake for dessert. Sadly, I’m usually sorely disappointed. How hard is it to make a moist, delicious chocolate dessert? Well, with this Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cupcake Recipe, it’s not hard at all! These are truly the best chocolate cupcakes ever. You will love them!
The Secret Ingredient
It turns out that the secret ingredient to making a moist chocolate cake or cupcake base is….ZUCCHINI! Now, I’m not a huge veggie lover. I eat salad, onions, peppers, and the basics like corn and green beans. But I’m just not very adventurous when it comes to other vegetables. (Been trying to work up enough courage for a couple years now to give veggie noodles a try with my Ninja spiralizer but STILL haven’t made the jump.)
But seriously. Even our Mr. Picky who basically lives on croutons ate one of these cupcakes! And he had no clue that he just got some veggies in for the day. I LOVE it!
So whether you have a great big garden of your own or someone blesses you with some zucchini, grate it up and give these cupcakes a try. (And don’t forget to freeze some extra grated zucchini so you can enjoy delicious, moist chocolate cake all winter too! Just portion it out in 2 cup increments so it’s ready for the recipe.)
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cupcake Recipe
Quite easy to make, just follow these simple directions to be on your way to enjoying the best Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cupcakes you’ve ever had.
- Cupcake Base:
- ~2 Cups Finely Shredded Zucchini
- ~3 Eggs
- ~2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- ~3/4 Cup Vegetable Oil (or Substitute With Coconut Oil)
- ~2 Teaspoons Vanilla
- ~2/3 Cup Cocoa Powder
- ~1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ~1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ~3/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- ~1½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- Chocolatey Cream Cheese Frosting:
- ~1 8oz. Package Cream Cheese
- ~1/2 Cup Room Temperature Butter
- ~3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- ~1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder
- ~1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- ~1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- ~Mini Chocolate Chips
- -Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- -Dump grated zucchini, eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla into a large mixing bowl. Beat until combined well.
- -Add the remaining ingredients: flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Gently stir until all ingredients are incorporated.
- -Line two muffin pans with liners.
- -Spoon mixture into each liner ½-2/3 full.
- -Bake for about 25 minutes. Test with a toothpick to check for doneness.
- -Remove from pan and cool cupcakes on a wire rack.
- Once cool, it's time to make the frosting.
- -Place the cream cheese and butter into a medium mixing bowl and beat till fluffy.
- -Add remaining ingredients.
- -Continue to beat until your mixture resembles a smooth whipped consistency.
- -Pour into a piping bag and frost cupcakes.
- -Sprinkle mini chocolate chips over the top for garnish.
- Store cupcakes in an airtight container.
Tastes Great And Sneaks In Those Pesky Vegetables!
The whole family loves this Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cupcake Recipe. And I love that I don’t have to feel guilty having a little dessert since it sneaks in a bit of vegetable too.
What do you think? Have you ever tried using vegetables in dessert before? Be sure to let us know in the comments how you like the recipe! And don’t forget to check out some of our other great recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, salads, and dessert inspiration.