Is it time to move your child to a booster seat? Booster seats are for older children who have outgrown their forward-facing child seat. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), it is best for children to continue to use a forward-facing car seat with a harness and top tether in the back seat for as long as possible. If your child has outgrown his or her forward-facing seat but is not yet ready to stay seated properly in a booster seat using the lap and shoulder belt, a Harness-2-Booster seat is the perfect transition seat. Today I’m really excited to tell you all about the Britax Frontier ClickTight Combination Harness-2-Booster car seat. (A big thank you to Britax for providing me with a Britax Frontier ClickTight review sample.)
Let’s talk specs on this seat first.
- When used in harness mode, this seat has been approved for children who are at least 2 years old and weigh 25-90 pounds and have a height of 30-58. Shoulder height should be between 12.5 – 20.5″. I’d like to note that even though you can begin using this seat at 2 years of age (if your child meets the other requirements) it is recommended that you continue to rear face your child for as long as possible.
- When used in booster mode, this seat has been approved for children who weigh between 40-120 pound and have a height of 45-62″. Shoulder height should be between 15 – 23″.
- This seat comes with a 1 year warranty, a 9 year expiration, and weighs just 25 pounds.
The specs on this seat mean that we could use it in harness mode for our 3, 5 and 7 year old children. The image below shows all 3 of them in this seat.
Both my 5 and 7 year old could also use this seat in booster mode (see image of my 7 year old at the beginning of this blog post) however we prefer to keep them in the 5-point harness at this time. Because my 3 year old is still rather petite, we have chosen to continue to rearface her in the Britax Boulevard ClickTight Convertible Car Seat a while longer.
Car Seat Installation
One of the big things that sets this seat apart is the ClickTight capabilities. ClickTight essentially gives you the easiest install possible when you’re using a seat belt. I love the ClickTight technology so much that I wrote an entire post about the ease of seat belt install using ClickTight. Make sure you read that article to get all of the details about ClickTight. Spoiler – it’s even easier than using the lower anchors with LATCH!
If would like to use the lower anchors to secure the car seat to your vehicle, rather than the seat belt, this seat is also equipped with a lower connector strap. Easy-on/off lower anchors lock into place with a click and are easily released with the push of a button.
Britax integrates some wonderful safety features into Frontier’s SafeCell Impact Protection safety system. For instance, the impact-absorbing base compresses to reduce the force of a collision. The impact-stabilizing steel frame offers superior strength where you need it most: at the connection point to the vehicle. The patented V-shaped tether minimizes seat rotation with a unique two-strap design and staged-release stitches that slow and reduce forward movement during a crash. The Frontier also has 2 layers of side protection, formed by a deep energy-absorbing shell. The quick-adjust head protection is designed to absorb energy and shield your child from the most severe type of collision.
If you’ve read any of my articles about car seat safety, then you know already that making sure your child is secured in the seat is just as important as securing the car seat to the vehicle seat. This seat can only be used as a forward facing seat. That means that the straps should always be positioned at or above seated shoulder height. Adjusting the straps to the correct position is SO easy with the Frontier’s Quick-Adjust, 9-Position Harness. There is no rethreading required. Simply squeeze the red handle at the top of the seat and move the straps to the desired location. The Easy-Buckle System keeps the buckle out of your way when placing your child in the car seat.
- The Frontier has 2 integrated cup holders, perfect for storing drinks, snacks, even toys.
- The Frontier has a multiple position recline, which allows you to adjust the seat to the perfect comfort level for your child and get the best fit for your vehicle seat.
- Removable cover for easy cleaning
- Hassle-free transition from 5-point harness to booster with seat belt. Simply tuck the buckle and straps safely within the seat.
I can’t say enough good things about the ClickTight system. It is so easy to install this seat. Literally 10xs quicker than installing other car seats we’ve had in the past. That ALONE makes me recommend this seat, many times over any others. I’d read that others had trouble adjusting the straps once their child was seated in the seat. That was not a problem for us at all. (For reference, we installed this Britax Fronteir ClickTight seat in my husband’s 2016 Ram Rebel truck.)
We have been using the seat with the 5-point harness for both our 5 year old and 7 year old. They both find it to be very comfortable and love the integrated cup holders. My only complaint would be that the seat is a little wide so you likely could not fit 3 across in a vehicle. Other than that, I can find no faults with this great seat from Britax.
This harness 2 booster seat gets two thumbs up from me!