I’m excited today to bring you a review of the Britax Advocate 70-G3 car seat. This seat was provided to me at no cost to facilitate this review.
Have you ever heard of the Britax company? I must admit, back when I had my first baby I wasn’t heavily into the baby/child scene and although I think I had passed Britax products occasionally, they were not a company I knew very much about when I started purchasing my baby gear.
For those who aren’t familiar with Britax, it is the best-selling car seat maker in Europe, where they first began selling over 70 years ago. Britax entered the US market in 1996 and has quickly become a trusted brand among Americans, with many families believing they make the best car seats on the market. I’ve been reviewing baby gear for over two years now, and I have quickly learned that I almost always prefer European products vs American. The price of the European brands is usually slightly higher, but the quality is unmatched.
Now that you know who Britax is, let’s discuss this car seat! First, let’s talk about who this seat is designed for. Your child can use this seat from 5-70 pounds (5-40 pounds rear facing and 20-70 pounds forward facing after 1 year old). Children need to be 49 inches or less standing height, with a seated shoulder height no greater than 16.75 inches. For us, that means this seat will most likely work for my children from birth until at least age 8, maybe longer. My son who will be the one most often using this seat is currently 17 pounds, 27 inches tall, and 9 months old. He will be able to use this car seat rear facing (recommended as the safest car seat position for children) for probably the next 2 years at least, maybe longer. My daughter is almost 3 years old, 28 pounds, and about 33 inches tall. She can use this seat rear facing, but could also sit in in forward facing. Because it’s pretty easy to determine how she would look forward facing in this seat, I focused the bulk of my pictures on showing you how she looks rear facing.
Now that you know the specs on who can use this seat, let’s talk about the overall look and feel of the Britax Advocate 70-G3. We were sent the Zebra print. I think my daughter was a little disappointed when she learned this seat was (mainly) for her brother and not her. It’s such a fun look! This car seat also comes in 4 other fun fabric options, making it easy to find one that suits your child. The black parts of the fabric are velvety smooth. There is also an infant body pillow included, in case you would like to use this seat for a newborn.
Looks are important, but not nearly as important as the safety of the child using the seat, am I right?! This car seat from Britax has a number of car seat safety features built into it. They include:
- True Side Impact Protection is deep side walls with energy-absorbing EPP foam along with a head restraint which offers a double layer of EPP foam to distribute crash forces, shield from vehicle intrusion, and contain the head, neck and body while keeping them “in true” or aligned
- HUGS Chest Pads with SafeCell Technology are affixed to the seat shell to ensure proper positioning while SafeCells compress to manage energy and provide resistance to the forward movement of your child in a crash, reducing the risk of head injury
- Base with SafeCell Technology features SafeCells designed to compress in a crash, significantly lowering the center of gravity and counteracting the forward rotation of the child seat which normally propels the child toward the front seat
- Integrated Steel Bars strengthen the connection to the vehicle and reduce forward flexing of the child seat during a crash
- Energy-Absorbing Versa-Tether features a staged-release tether webbing to slow the forward movement, reducing the crash forces reaching the child, and a two-point attachment to minimize forward rotation while anchoring the top of the child seat
- Side Impact Cushion Technology features energy-absorbing cushions on the exterior of the child seat to reduce side impact crash energy by 45% by diverting crash forces away from your child and providing extra protection for the adjacent passenger
- Click & Safe® Snug Harness Indicator is an audible aid that provides extra assurance when the harness is within range of appropriate snugness
- Tangle-Free, Five-Point Harness distributes crash forces across the strongest parts of the body and provides a secure fit
Our van has the LATCH system and this car seat is equipped with premium lower latch connectors. My husband said the installation was quick and easy. He loves that they release with just the push of a button.
And now, I want to tell you about the feature I can’t stop talking about: Quick-Adjust, No-Rethread Harness. I was going to make a quick video of this feature, but Britax beat me to it. It’s really quick (14 seconds!) so watch this:
Call me lazy, but I HATE having to rethread the harnesses. This is genius! In less than 5 seconds I can adjust the harness so that it is at the perfect shoulder height for my 9 month old son, or my (almost) 3 year old daughter. I have never seen anything like this before, but I’ve recently learned that Britax also utilizes this technology in their strollers.
It literally took me less than 5 seconds to adjust the seat for the above pictures.
There’s another really neat feature about this seat. How many times have you gone digging around trying to find the bottom buckle for your child. You have to dig it out because they are sitting on it, right? Well, not anymore with this Britax seat! The bottom buckle automatically flips forward and lays down when you unbuckle. When you’re child gets out of the seat, the buckle will automatically look like this:
Because it’s covered with fabric, this will also help keep it from getting as hot during the summer months. My daughter always cries about hot buckles on her seat.
So, are there any drawbacks to this seat? Well, I can think of two things that might deter someone from buying this seat. First, the Britax Advocate 70-G3 is going to cost you more than a lot of other car seats on the market. It has a suggested retail price of $379.99. Shop around though, and you can find some good deals! I just saw this seat on Amazon for $255.99!
The other “drawback” is that, due to the side impact safety features, the seat is rather wide. You could certainly still fit two of these seats in the backseat of a car, but there’s no way you’d be able to squeeze 3 in. Frankly, I’m happy to give up a little bit of space for added safety features!
Overall, we LOVE this car seat. I feel like my son (or daughter) is very safe riding in this seat. The seat looks pretty comfortable and includes a recline feature for added comfort. And, although I mentioned you will pay a little bit more for this seat, I do believe it is worth the extra amount. As I stated in the beginning, it is my experience that most European brands cost more but are far superior in quality, and Britax, once again, proves that! This is my first Britax product, and I’m already looking forward to owning more. I’m very impressed with this seat!
Visit Britax to learn more about this car seat, other car seats, strollers, travel systems, and carriers that Britax makes. You can purchase this seat through many retailers, including Amazon.com.
Disclosure: I was provided this seat at no charge to facilitate this review. All opinions are my own. This post contains Amazon affiliate links.