Honestly, I’ve been on the hunt for the best cut out sugar cookie recipe for years. Not only the best cut out sugar cookie recipe, but really recipes for all kinds of cookies.
My problem was, they never seemed to turn out the way I’d hoped. And for a while I even gave up. After having several batches of chocolate chip cookies fall flat…..literally. I just couldn’t take the disappointment any more. But every time a holiday rolls around, I get the itch to make a great cut out sugar cookie recipe. So when my cousin imparted the following gem on me, it was just too good to keep quiet! And today, I’m sharing with you THE best cut out sugar cookie recipe ever! It seriously gets rave reviews every time my daughter and I whip a batch up.
Best Cut Out Sugar Cookie Recipe EVER!
First off, I’ll let you know that the recipe isn’t even too hard. Just follow the directions step by step and the results are absolutely amazing!
- 2 Sticks Salted Butter (may use unsalted if you'd prefer)
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ Teaspoon Almond Emulsion
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Large Egg
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- ----NOTE: I use my stand mixer for ease. But you could manage by hand if needed.----
- In a large mixing bowl: cream butter and sugar for at least 3 minutes until it's smooth.
- Beat in the almond emulsion, vanilla extract, and egg.
- Set aside until the next step is completed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the baking powder, salt, and flour.
- Slowly add, a little at a time, of the dry ingredient mixture to the first bowl, beating continuously. (Use all the dry mix!)
- Once the dough becomes too stiff for the mixer, turn out onto
flouredsurface and finish kneading by hand.
- Divide the dough in half. (Do NOT refrigerate!)
- Roll the first half out on a floured surface to about ¼ inch thick and cut with desired shaped cookie cutters. (Be careful that you don't roll too thin! If you do, just re-roll.)
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or till the edges are just barely starting to turn brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool on pan for 5 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Frost as desired.
*You can substitute almond emulsion for almond extract in equal parts. (But don’t omit if at all possible. The flavor it adds is phenomenal!)
*If you absolutely have to chill the dough, just bring back to room temp before rolling.
*This recipe yield will change depending on the size of your cookie cutters as well as thickness you roll the dough.
*Because every oven is different, start with 8 minutes and then check your cookies. You can always add extra minutes but a burned cookie will stay burned. If you know your oven runs especially hot, drop the temperature down accordingly. The browner your cookie, the crispier the texture.
*These cut out sugar cookies are meant to be frosted. So while okay plain, they become exceptional once you top with frosting.
*Perfect for any holiday or occasion. Just change up your cookie cutters! We make this recipe at least a dozen times a year. It comes highly requested when we attend events or parties!