Spring is finally here and although the first official day of spring brought about 5 inches of snow to our region, Thursday was gorgeous! Temperatures reached over 70 degrees and I couldn’t think of anything better to do than pack a picnic and head to our favorite park. I decided it was also the perfect opportunity to introduce the littles to one of my favorite desserts as a kid: DIRT!
If you’ve never made Dirt before, it’s really very simple and SO tasty! Here’s my recipe:
- 1 Container of Cool Whip
- 1 Package of instant chocolate pudding
- 1 Package of Oreos
- 1 Package of gummy worms
- 2 Cups of Milk (I use whole milk)
- *Optional* Chocolate ice cream (I like mine with some peanut butter swirled in)
- Start by pulling the Oreos apart and scrapping the cream out of the middle. I let the kids do this job and they had so much fun.
- Then I put all of the cookies into the blender until they are of crumb consistency. If you don’t have a blender, you can also put them in a zippered baggie and smash with a rolling pin. Set the crumbs aside for later.
- Next combine the chocolate pudding and milk and blend until smooth. I used my blender, but again you could use your mixer or just do it the old fashioned way and mix with a spoon.
- Then mix in the Cool Whip
- Next mix in the ice cream. I like to just dump in 3 big spoonfuls (about 1 1/2 cups). This is where the blender really came in handy since the ice cream was frozen.
- Once everything is mixed together well, pour into your bowl or pan. You could also do individual cups if you’d like.
- Top the pudding mixture with 3/4 of the Oreo crumbs.
- Drop in as many worms as you’d like (or are willing to let your little ones consume!).
- Use the last portion of the Oreo crumbs to sprinkle over the worms to make them appear dirty.
- Put it into your freezer (if you used ice cream) or refrigerator for 30 minutes to fully set.
If you are dairy-free, don’t worry, you can still make this recipe with a little modification. You’ll want to exclude the Cool Whip and ice cream and then use this instant pudding with almond milk recipe.
We packed our picnic lunch, loaded everyone into the van, and headed to our favorite park. It just so happens that we were recently sent a new wagon from Step2 (at no cost as part of my ambassadorship with them) and this gave us the perfect opportunity to try it out.
Not only is the Step2 Igloo Wagon with Cooler a canopy-covered wagon that can seat both of my older kids, it has a secret compartment (My kids love to refer to it that way – everything is more special when it’s a secret!) that holds a generously sized Igloo cooler! We fit our entire picnic lunch in this cooler, with room to spare, then the kids piled in and we headed to our favorite picnic spot.
We love this park because it has a HUGE grassy area. The kids eat their lunch at lightening speed and then they can run around and play while Orin and I finish leisurely eating our food. This park is also close to busy railroad tracks which means Jacob gets a chance to see one of his favorite things while we eat.
After eating, we packed up the wagon and headed to the playground for some time on the slides, monkey bars, and swings. My kids love to swing. We have the Step2 Naturally Playful Adventure Lodge Play Center with Glider at our house, so they can swing anytime they want to, but that’s still there favorite thing to do at the park as well. The was Zellene’s first time swinging at the park and she was full of smiles and laughs! The weather was so refreshing after a long winter, we stayed there for quite a while before heading home.
What do you like to do on the first nice day of Spring?
Whatever your plans are this spring, summer, and fall, if you’re in the market for a wagon, you’ve gotta check out the Step2 Igloo Wagon with Cooler. As I mentioned, it has a special compartment that stores an Igloo cooler. You can slide a bench seat over the cooler so your kids can still ride in the wagon or you can pile other supplies on top of it. It also features 2 cup holders and has a canopy to keep your kids shaded. The cooler zippers open/closed, but it also has a quick access Velcro window at the top. You can purchase it this spring exclusively at Sam’s Club. I’m really looking forward to having it to take along camping this summer and for fishing trips to the lake!