Can you feel it? Summer is almost here! We are beyond ready here in Minnesota. While some winters are mild, this past one raged on into April. I like snow just as much as the next guy but by about mid-March, I’m just done. So now that school is winding down, it’s time to start thinking about summer. But do you have any plans on how to keep the kids busy, active, and engaged in learning? Now’s the time to plan ways of avoiding the summer slide.
Summer Goes By Way Too Fast!
The old adage about how time flies when you’re having fun definitely holds true the older I get. But summer is by far the fastest season. Perhaps it’s because we break from homeschooling for a couple months. Or the gorgeous sunshine we love to enjoy. Maybe it’s because we live in the land of 10,000 lakes and there’s so much to enjoy on the waters. No matter the reason, I already know the pressure is on as the countdown begins.
Avoiding The Summer Slide
Whether homeschooling, public schooling, un-schooling, or any other method, the summer slide and learning regression is a real thing. So each summer, I actively search out ways to help in avoiding the summer slide.
Boosting The Body & Brain This Summer
Not only do I aim to sharpen mental skills, I also make sure we include the body. Summer is a great time to get out and get active in all manners of speaking.
- Science Fun: Summer is the perfect time to take those Science projects outdoors and avoid the messy clean up! Have the kids make a volcano erupt (baking soda & vinegar) and chat about chemical reactions. Or suck an egg into a bottle and share about atmospheric pressure.
- Bike Riding: My favorite thing to do as a child was ride bike. So I am a huge advocate of every child having their very own bicycle! Great exercise and fun explorations. There is so much learning that can be done along the way.
- Hit The Local Library: Schedule a library day each week and encourage the kids to check out and read 3 books a week. And be sure to check as most libraries have a summer reading program with incentives and prizes!
- Visit Parks & Playgrounds: Work those muscles by making it a point to visit the local parks and playgrounds. There’s usually much to see and do. Trails to explore, playgrounds to conquer, and new adventures every time.
- Bake Together: Did you know that encouraging your children to help in the kitchen is great for the brain? Have them help you read the recipe, measure ingredients, and follow the instructions. Plus, everyone gets to enjoy the delicious results! Check out this Cereal Drop Snack Mix for some inspiration that the entire family will devour!
- Play Games: Board and card games are a great way to pass the time. Not only that, they are perfect for aiding in avoiding the summer slide. Players utilize their brains in a variety of ways based on the game. And playing together also works on social skills too.
- Read Together: Spend time every day reading together as a family. We choose exciting books like the Boxcar Children or Hardy Boys and read a chapter a day together. Working on literary skills is one of the most important ways of avoiding the summer slide!
pediped = The Best Shoes To Hit The Ground Running This Summer
With the boots now packed away, it was time to get my kids the best shoes to help them hit the ground running. Shoes that will fit great and not slow them down. So, of course, I turned to pediped for help.
Why Choose pediped Footwear?
There are lots of great reasons to choose pediped Footwear for your child. This includes the fact that their stylish designs delivery the ultimate comfort. Each and every pair is specifically engineered with promoting healthy foot development in mind. And because of their dedication to creating the best, they’ve received numerous awards and recognition over the years!
Kids can even feel the difference! Our children reach for their pedipeds over other brands time and time again. And with all the great styles, colors, and designs, there’s a perfect pair for everyone.
The premium grade, non-toxic ingredients involved in the construction of pediped Shoes make them a great all-around choice. The padded heels absorb shock. The foam insoles and cushion provide support and comfort. Premium grade leathers stand up to every day wear. And pediped offers fashion forward styles in all of their shoes, sized from newborn up to 6 youth.
Girls Flex® Lynn Gold & Boys Flex® Force
The pediped Flex Force Shoes immediately grabbed the attention of our 5 year old as he LOVES bright fun colors. Since this style was actually available in a large array of options, he was able to find the perfect colors for his preference.
Along with gorgeous colors, these sneakers also feature flexible and lightweight ultra light technology. So they are perfect for my busy boy! And with faux laces and top velcro, he can be completely independent getting them on and off. Plus, the built in heel cushion and flex fit system provide the perfect fit. And finally, a little boys pair of sneakers that are MACHINE WASHABLE!?! I’m sold! The Flex Force Shoes are amazing!
Sweet & Sassy Every Day Or Dressy Sandals
The pediped Flex Lynn immediately caught my eye as I LOVE a great sandal that can carry little girls through every day as well as special occasions and church.
They are currently available in three color options including: gold, ocean (blues), and silver. We have the gold pair and they are even more spectacular in person than what photos can convey. A breathable leather lining, flexible rubber sole, and velcro closure make them a great pick for toddlers. Lucy is 3 but can easily get them on and off by herself.
Once again, pediped has delivered everything I was hoping for and more! Both the Flex Lynn and Flex Force are amazing shoes that, most importantly, the kids LOVE too. And they are adorable to boot!
So tell me, what are your favorite ways of avoiding the summer slide?
Be sure to visit pediped Footwear to check out all the great new styles they have and grab a pair today. And don’t forget to like them on Facebook and follow them on Instagram to stay up to date on their latest news, specials, and giveaways too.
Enter To Win Our Giveaway!
I’m excited to share that one lucky Thrifty Nifty Mommy reader will win their very own pair of pediped Shoes! The randomly chosen winner will get to choose the size and gender and pediped will surprise you with a fun pair of their choice, based on their in-stock inventory at the time. Just enter the widget below for your chance. Good luck!