This post has been sponsored by Little Bites.
Can you believe that SpongeBob is celebrating 20 years this year?! While I didn’t watch the show growing up, my husband did. In fact, it was always one of his favorite cartoons. It’s one of the shows he introduced to our children and enjoys watching with them on a regular basis.
In celebrations of SpongeBob celebrating 20 years, I assembled 20 cool facts about the show that I wanted to share with you today.
Twenty Awesome Facts About SpongeBob SquarePants
- The show’s creator was Stephen Hillenburg. Stephen was a marine biologist. When he pitched the show to Nickelodeon, he brought a fish tank into the boardroom and explained what was living inside. He then placed a cartoon drawing of SpongeBob into the tank and said “This is SpongeBob, the star of your new show.”
- SpongeBob is ambidextrous, meaning he is able to write with both hands.
- Worms are portrayed as dogs, and sea snails (or Gary in this case) are portrayed as cats. Gary says “meow”.
- SpongeBob’s favorite color is beige. His favorite ice cream flavor is vanilla.
- The Krusty Krab has only 2 employees because Mr. Krabs is a cheapskate.
- 25% of SpongeBob Squarepants viewers are adults with no children.
- Tom Kenny voices SpongeBob. He wife Jill Talley voices Karen, Plankton’s computer wife. Tom and Jill have been married since 1995.
- Karen is named after Stephen Hillenburg’s wife.
- The fictional town where SpongeBob lives is called Bikini Bottom. It is shown in the series to be below a real place, Bikini Atoll, which is a former nuclear test site which is still uninhabitable today.
- The original title for the show was, “SpongeBoy” but that name was already trademarked for a cleaning product.
- SpongeBob’s birthday is July 14th, 1986.
- Despite having “squid” in his name, Squidward is actually supposed to be an octopus.
- In the “Shanghaied” episode there were 3 possible endings that viewers got to vote on.
- To date, The Krusty Krab has been destroyed 25 times, SpongeBob’s house has been destroyed 20 times, Squidward’s house has been destroyed 13 times and Patrick’s house has been destroyed 10 times.
- The German title of this show is “SpongeBob Schwammkopf” which means “SpongeBob SpongeHead”.
- Mr. Krabs’ fishing boat is called the S.S. Cheapskate.
- SpongeBob SquarePants was the first cartoon on Nickelodeon to have over 200 episodes.
- Almost every time a character throws something away, glass breaks.
- Squidward makes various references to 11 minutes. Every episode lasts about 11 minutes 30 seconds.
- Mr. Krab’s birth date is November 30, 1942. SpongeBob’s is July 14, 1986, as revealed on each characters driver’s license, in dream sequences, in season one, episode fifteen, “Sleepy Time/Suds”.
Do you know who else is celebrating 20 years this year? Little Bites® muffins!
Littles Bites muffins are America’s #1 selling muffin. Over 10 billion Entenmann’s Little Bites muffins have been produced since their debut in 1999. Today, these pre-portioned pouches of delicious baked snacks come in over ten varieties, such as Chocolate Chip, Blueberry, Party Cakes, Fudge Brownies, Banana and Crumb Cakes. Little Bites also releases seasonal flavors throughout the year.
Little Bites snacks are one of the snacks that my kiddos consistently request that I buy when we go grocery shopping. It’s hard to get 5 kids to all agree on one thing, but Little Bites snacks are one of those things! They love ’em!
Super Spongebash Celebration Sweepstakes
Entenmann’s Little Bites is helping SpongeBob ring in his 20th by partnering with Nickelodeon to launch a fun family offer! Through August 18th, fans can visit www.spongebashsweeps.com for official rules and to enter the Super SpongeBash Celebration Sweepstakes for a chance to win a trip for a family of four to Nickelodeon Hotels & Resorts in Punta Cana! 100 first prize winners in total will also receive a SpongeBob Party Box (winners will be chosen weekly). No purchase necessary. Many will enter, few will win. Must be a resident of 48 contiguous United States aged 21 or older in order to enter.