I received product from Step2 to facilitate this post. All opinions are my own.
Adding a new baby to any family can be a tough transition, especially if there are siblings. It can be especially hard for children to give up the “baby” position in the household. And even before we decided to start foster care, we took steps to prepare our kids. So today, we’re going to chat about 10 Ways To Prepare Siblings For A New Baby.
10 Ways To Help Siblings Get Ready For A New Baby
- Visit A Real Baby: This may sound like a silly tip but spend some time visiting a family member or friend that has a real baby so your child can see what it’s like. Plus, they may even get a chance to hold him/her!
- Volunteer In Your Church Nursery: Spending time with your child in the company of other children where your attention is divided can help ease your child into sharing you.
- Head To The Library: There are so many great books out there about babies and becoming a big sister/brother. Take up a search with Google and then head to your local library to check some out. Reading these to your child can be very helpful.
- Include The Whole Family In Choosing The Name: Be sure to ask everyone for ideas and make a list together.
- Take Everyone To The Doctor: I always found it fun and helpful to bring our kids to a doctors appointment or ultrasound (get permission first!) as they LOVED getting to see and hear “OUR baby”.
- Sibling Classes: Many hospitals these days offer Sibling Classes so kids can learn about babies! Topics covered can include: why babies cry, hot to keep baby safe, and more.
- Get A Baby Doll: Giving your child their very own baby that they can play with, nurture, and take care of is great practice. Don’t forget to get in there and play along! Mimicking and setting an example of how to treat their baby is a great idea.
- Have A Heart To Heart Talk: Sit your child(ren) down and let them know that adding a baby is a big change but that you love them just the same. Sometimes kids can feel lost in the excitement. Children need to know that they are not being replaced and won’t be forgotten.
- Let Them Shop For Baby: An easy and fun way to include everyone and help boost excitement is to let the big siblings choose a present for the baby. This gives them ownership over their new “Big Sibling” title and makes them feel useful.
- Photo Look Back: Dig out photos of when they were little and share memories, fun times, and funny stories. Reliving their own babyhood can bring a sense of anticipation of getting to do that with the new baby.
Step2 To The Rescue!
I saw the Step2 Love And Care Play Set and I knew it was the perfect toy to help kids role play for a new baby. An unbeatable combination, this set includes the Step2 Love & Care Deluxe Nursery and Love & Care Doll Stroller. Geared for ages 2 and up, kids LOVE it!
Love And Care Play Set Activities
There really is so much to do! Life with any baby (real or not) brings lots of activity and Step2 is here to help. It’s proven that kids learn best through play. And little mommies and daddies experience nurturing play through the Love And Care Play Set. Features include:
- Changing Table
- Feeding Station/High Chair
- Mobile (that spins!)
- Working Cabinet Doors
- Additional Storage Space
- Six Piece Accessory Set
- Easy To Push Doll Stroller
Children really get the chance to take over all the responsibilities of a new baby through this fun and enticing set. So whether feeding baby or heading out for a walk, our kids just can’t get enough. The spinning mobile really adds a perfect realistic touch to bring this Baby Care Set to life.
Laundry is an unending battle but it’s a bit more fun when doing it for baby!
The spinning knob to “start” the washer makes a clicking noise for added fun.
Once the laundry is done, kids enjoy hanging the clothes up with the included hangers.
The baby changing station is also a favorite place for our girls to have their babies nap. SO cute!
And meal times are easy as can be with the built in baby seat.
As usual, Step2 has brought another great toy to the market! Don’t forget to view all of our Step2 favorites to get some fun ideas for Christmas gifts.
Win The Step2 Love And Care Deluxe Nursery
So here’s your chance! Just in time for the holidays, Step2 is giving one of our lucky readers their very own Love And Care Deluxe Nursery!