Summer is finally here. The sun is shining and everyone in my house is ready to get outside! Read on to see my Top 10 Sun Safety Tips For Babies. Products gifted to me from Green Spouts have been featured in this post.
10+ Sun Safety Tips For Babies
1. Did you know that babies under 6 months of age should stay out of direct sunlight? It is also recommended to avoid sunscreen on babies under 6 months and just focus on keeping them in constant shade due to their sensitive skin. I understand this might not always be possible, but just try your best.
2. Apply sunscreen 30 minutes before going out and reapply it every two hours or more frequently if you take your baby into the pool or if he or she is sweating (skincancer.org). Unfortunately, sunscreen is not a one and done type of thing. We need to make sure we are applying it frequently or just heading back indoors/in shade. Sun safety for babies isn’t hard, it just takes a little time management.
This is what I do with my 11-month old when we are getting ready to go outside. Sunscreen first, then get his water cup, hat, shoes, outside toys, my shoes, and then we head outside. That way the sunscreen is on for nearly 30 minutes before we head out. I try to just come in after 30-60 minutes so it doesn’t get too hot for him or myself.
3. When shopping for sunscreen, look at the active ingredients. Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are good choices because these physical filters don’t rely on the absorption of chemicals and are less apt to cause a skin reaction (skincancer.org).
4. If possible, avoid the sunscreen ingredient oxybenzone because of concerns about mild hormonal properties (healthychildren.org).
5. Use a sunscreen that says “broad-spectrum” on the label; that means it will screen out both UVB and UVA rays. When following sun safety, it is imperative to have the proper sunscreen.
6. Look for special clothing marked with an ultraviolet protection factor (UPF) of 30 or more, which will allow only 1/30th of the sun’s rays to reach the skin (skincancer.org). My favorites come from Green Sprouts Baby!
7. Babies and children of all skin colors need sun protection. Infant and toddler skin has less of the melanin pigment that provides some sun protection for darker skin later on in life. They can still get sunburn and develop skin cancer later in life
8. Use sunscreen any time you or your child spends time outdoors. Remember that you can get sunburn even on cloudy days because up to 80% of the sun’s UV rays can get through the clouds. Also, UV rays can bounce back from water, sand, snow, and concrete, so make sure you’re protected. Remember that sun safety for babies is important all year round, not just during the summer months.
9. Hats that shade the face, scalp, ears, and neck are easy to use and give great protection. Check out this one from Green Sprouts. It comes in multiple colors and sizes, making it easy to find the perfect one.
10. Baby sunglasses are also a must. They protect your child’s eyes from UV rays, which can lead to cataracts later in life. Look for sunglasses that wrap around and block as close to 100% of both UVA and UVB rays as possible.
Believe me, I understand the struggle to keep sunglasses on babies, but just keep trying! We find it helps if we can give our son something to hold to keep his hands busy. We also never let his sunglasses be a “toy”. As soon as he pulled them off, we put them back on or take them away. Check out my favorite pair of baby sunglasses here.
11. Try to stay in the shade when the sun is at its strongest (usually from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m). Again, I know this is hard! Just try to build it into the routine. For us, we go outside after our morning nap and again before supper. It is easier on all of us when it isn’t the sunniest, therefore hottest, part of the day.
So when the weather is warm, the sunscreen is on, and you are ready to head outside, make sure you put on your protective sunwear from Green Sprouts. They have everything you need from sun protective shirts, pants, hats, water shoes, sun accessories, and of course, swimwear. Plus, so much more!
Connect With Green Sprouts