Thanks to Safety 1st for providing these travel safety this summer tips!
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 75% of car seats on the road are installed incorrectly. Here are some easy tips to think about before hitting the road.
- The safest place to install a car seat is typically in the center of the rear seat.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) advises parents to keep their toddlers in rear-facing car seats until age 2. It also advises that most children will need to ride in a belt-positioning booster seat until they have reached 4 feet 9 inches tall and are between 8 and 12 years of age.
- Check in with a local Child Passenger Safety Technician to ensure your child’s seat is installed correctly. You can visit a local police station, fire station, AAA office or Safe Kids Chapter for guidance.
Where is Baby?
- It may seem like common sense but never, leave a child alone in the car. Hyperthermia is a severe form of heat stroke and last year 30 children died after being left or trapped in a hot vehicle. You can learn more about this issue and easy tips to prevent it here.
Safeguard the Car
- Just as important as safe guarding your home, don’t forget about the car. Especially on long road trips. It’s important to eliminate projectiles, anything in the car that is not secured is a possible projectile. That could be a child’s toy, wet nap container, or a water bottle. In a crash, objects take on greater weight due to crash forces.
- Make sure unused shoulder belts are not in reach of children as they can pose strangulation risk.
Car Seats Expire
- Car seats expire. Especially if you get a hand-me-down car seat you should always check the expiration date to confirm the seat is safe for your child. You can find the expiration date on the back or the side of the car seat. Also, another very important tip – once a car seat has been in a crash you should not use it, plastic can warp and materials can fray. To properly dispose of a car seat check with your local waste management facility to see if they recycle number 5 plastic.
Safe travels this summer with your family!
Need a new seat for your little one? If so, you’re in luck! I’m giving away the brand new Safety 1st Go and Grow Convertible Car Seat right now! Click HERE to head to the giveaway now! Good luck!