After Maggie was born, we had all these wonderful people who brought us home-cooked meals. My sister brought us her Easy Chicken And Dumplings, and we’ve been enjoying this recipe ever since! Is it a quick, easy meal for a weeknight, and delicious warm comfort food on cold days! Here’s how you make it:
- 1/2 c. chopped onion (I just chop up a small onion and use all of it. I never measure because I love onion)
- 1/4 c. margarine or butter
- 2/3 c. flour (I’ve used both wheat and white flours and both taste great)
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 (10 oz can chicken broth) ** If you used condensed broth, like what is pictures, make sure you adjust it so half of the 10 oz is water*. Also, if you don’t have chicken broth, you can use 1 cup water and 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 2 1/2 cups cubed
- or shredded cooked chicken (I use my kitchen chopper)
- 1 1/2 c. frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can refrigerated southern style biscuits (like Pillsbury)
- chopped parsley
1. In a LARGE skillet, cook and stir onion in butter until tender.
2. Stir in flour and salt; blend until smooth (don’t worry, it will be really chunky)
3. Add Chicken broth, 1 1/2 – 2 cups water, and hot pepper sauce.
4. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened.
5. Stir in chicken, mixed vegetables and sour cream; simmer over low heat until thoroughly heated. *I usually boil my chicken then use my kitchen chopper to chop it up. I save the water from the chicken to use in the recipe.* If this mixture seems too think for your liking, you can add extra water, sour cream, or milk.
6. Separate dough into 8 biscuits and cut each one in half. Place biscuits on top of hot mixture. Simmer uncovered 10 minutes. Cover; simmer over low heat 15 to 20 minutes longer or until biscuits are no longer doughy.
7. Garnish with chopped parsley and paprika
I hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as ours does!